• gallery
  • gallery

The Sanctuary of the Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano

The church of San Francesco, located in the center of Lanciano, very close to Piazza del Plebiscito, built, on the site of the Church of S. Legonziano (VII / VIII), in 1258 in the Romanesque-Burgundian style, rebuilt in Baroque style around the middle of Eighteenth century, it appears today, after the restoration work in 2000, with its simple and solemn eighteenth-century configuration. The facade is rectangular with square stones. The bell tower is 31 meters high and is the oldest in the city. The interior has a single nave with two side altars and beautiful paintings along the walls. Beautiful biblical scenes are painted on the vault. Noteworthy is a large biblical crucifix from the 18th century.
The church preserves the testimony of the oldest Eucharistic miracle in the Catholic world. Around the year 700, in the church of San Legonziano, a Basilian monk in fact expressed doubts about the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. During the mass, however, the consecrated host and wine were really transformed into flesh and blood. Preserved first by the Basilians, then by the Benedictines and finally by the Friars Minor Conventual, the two relics are now preserved respectively in a silver monstrance of the Neapolitan school (1713) and in a crystal vial, placed in the second tabernacle of the monumental altar. , in the center of the presbytery. Today as in the past, the relics consist of five drops of coagulated blood and the thin membrane of flesh resulting from the transformation of the host. The histological examinations carried out with absolute scientific rigor and documented by a series of microscope photographs, carried out in 1971 and 1981 in the hospital of Arezzo, showed that it is human blood and heart tissue with the same blood type: AB and that they have never been treated for conservation.
The sanctuary of the Eucharistic Miracle sees, every year, tens of thousands of faithful from all over the world.


Share on: